Assure Clients of Your Payroll Knowledge and Skill
Note: You have one year to take and pass the exam
NACPB's Payroll Certification assures employers you have payroll knowledge and skill. You obtain the Certification by passing the Uniform Payroll Certification Examination.
Certification benefits include:
- National Recognition
- Distinguish Yourself
- Build Credibility
- Validate Payroll Knowledge
- Demonstrate Payroll Skill
The Uniform Payroll Certification Examination (Exam) is the examination administered to bookkeepers and payroll personnel who want to obtain Payroll Certification.
The Exam is developed, maintained, and administered by NACPB. The Exam is used and recognized throughout the United States and its properties.
Bookkeepers and payroll personnel who pass the Exam may communicate to employers that they possess NACPB Payroll Certification and are able to distinguish themselves and build credibility by having authorized use of the NACPB Payroll Certification certificate and logo.
Payroll Certification Steps
To obtain Payroll Certification, we recommend the following steps:
- Join NACPB – Although membership is not required, NACPB members receive a 20% discount on the Exam and Exam Preparation Course.
- Complete the Exam Preparation Course – The Course educates you on the payroll process and enables you to pass the Exam. The Course is not required, but highly recommended.
- Take and Pass the Exam
Uniform Payroll Certification Examination
The Exam is an online, examination used to test the candidate's payroll competency. The Exam consists of 68 multiple choice questions and simulations. You may request access to the Exam via email or telephone during normal NACPB business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm MT and you will receive an email with a link to the Exam. You have 24 hours to take and submit the Exam for grading and the Exam is "open-book". To pass the Exam, you must receive a minimum of 80% on the Exam in order to pass. Exam results are made available to you within 24 hours. If necessary, you must wait one full week to retake the Exam.
To request the Exam, email email@example.com or call 866-444-9989.
The Exam tests the following:
- Payroll and Personnel Records
- Computing Wages and Salary
- Social Security Taxes
- Income Tax Withholding
- Unemployment Compensation Taxes
- Analyzing and Journalizing Payroll Transactions
Member $100 (Order through our Members Only Internet portal)
- Uniform Payroll Certification Examination
- NACPB Payroll Certification Certificate (Upon Passing Exam)
- NACPB Payroll Certification Logo
Member $50 (Order through our Members Only Internet portal)
Uniform Payroll Certification Exam Preparation Course
For assistance in preparing for and passing the Exam, click here.
To order, click the Order button below.
Submit our Online Form, email, or call us to learn how NACPB helps you provide public bookkeeping services more efficiently and effectively.